My last batch of kombucha had a flavor I didn’t enjoy, and I’d like to figure out why. I initially surmised that it must be due to the use of Gunpowder Tea, but it eventually occurred to me that this was also only the second time I’ve used loose-leaf tea. In the first instance I used 2 tablespoons of Oolong, which was approximately the same volume (though perhaps less density) as my usual family-size tea bags. My second time with loose-leaf I did a bit more research and decided that 4 tablespoons of gunpowder should be the common measure for 1 gallon of finished tea. (I also described this process here.)
Rather than assume that I simply don’t like gunpowder kombucha, and in the experimental spirit of this series of kombucha posts, I decided to make a batch of kombucha that’s “normal” in every way except the amount of tea. So I just set up a batch with the following ingredients:
- 2 quarts of strong tea
- 2 quarts distilled water
- 4 family-size tea bags, Luzianne decaf tea (6g ea)
- 1.75 quarts distilled water
- 1 scoby
- 1 cup kombucha
By all accounts, this is the number of tea bags I should be using to make a gallon of tea, but maybe it’s not right for a gallon of Kombucha. I could probably steep the four tea bags in only 1 quart of water, but that’s another experiment. If this tastes fine, perhaps I’ll try a batch with 6 or 8 bags, and see if I can find an upper limit.
In 2-4 weeks, I should know more!